Trying to stretch your money is always hard. No matter which way you figure things out you cannot afford to get everything you want. Every month you must decide between what you need and what you want. Not sure how to prioritize what is a need and what is a want?
No worries, there is lots of help out there. Check out these online resources:
- Wants vs. Needs: A One Day Chronicle, Forbes: an interesting look at the want / need decisions we make every day doing our day to day activities
- Taking a Deeper Look at Wants Versus Needs, The Simple Dollar: looks at how we often confuse needs with wants and provides clear examples of how to evaluate your choices
- It’s My Life. Needs vs. Wants, PBS Kids GO!: this article defines needs and wants in terms that children can understand and relate to
- Money Management: Understanding Needs and Wants, Equifax: this family money blog takes a good look at needs and wants while asking the question about when is it okay to spend money on wants
- Separate Needs from Wants, No More Debts: Explores how spending habits (on needs and wants) are impacted by our moods and recommends some behaviours that will help keep spending in check
Money management books are available at local libraries. Ask your local librarian for help in finding one that discusses needs and wants. They will be glad to assist.